Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Day 1 - And Off We Go

Zwicker To Zimbabwe
Day 1 - Tuesday/Wednesday
And Off We Go


Opening my eyes from a 1 1/2 hr nap on the futon [[at my friend's house in Seattle]], to my delightful surprise, I saw Ruma in the Kitchen. After talking and catching up with him, I left for Starbuck's to skype with the Jourdens [[the missionary family in Zimbabwe/South Africa]] for an orientation before coming into Zim.

The conversation/orientation went EXCELLENTLY well. For the week or two prior, I had been praying that God would renew the passion FOR Zim, not just the feeling TO GO to Zim - and He did! Ecstatic and filled with McDonald's #1 meal, I went back to Benm's house, shaved, changed, and I left with Benm to get a sleeping bag, a back pack, and to go to the Seattle airport.

While at the airport, after running to different stores to find a sleeping bag and after realizing I left the malaria pills in the car [[Benm was currently driving back]], I experienced something amazing...

While moving about slowly in the long Economy Class line for the Emirates arline, a worker came up to me and said, "Hello sir. How many are in your part?"

"Oh, hello," I said, "Just myself."

"One? Right this way, sir." he gestured.

Pointing behind me, I was shocked to see that he was inviting me to the Business/First class line; skipping the long economy class lines and moving right to the front of the First class line. That was my first true experience of what Jesus says in Luke 14:7-11: "those who humble themselves shall be exalted."

[[In no way am I trying to take a verse out of context. I was simply portraying my thought process in the moment. And I legitimately felt as if I was exalted like the man who took the humbled seat. IT WAS HUMBLING.]]

Moving to the Business/First Class desk, I had no idea what to say because all I had was my passport and itinerary from Expedia, not directly from Emirates. Once I handed her my passport, and entered it into the computer, she simply took my bags, gave me my new and real itineraries with my passport, handed me "First Class Luggage Tags" and said something such as thank you, to enjoy my flight and security is that way. Almost like heaven - just a small example, but nevertheless a real life example!

Before the long line for General fliers, I showed my passport and tickets to the security inspector, but he told me to move to the Premium line. (Okay - you have to know how I'm feeling right now. I'm still freaking out for a solid life example of the humble being exalted, but now skip the huge security line and move up to the front?! Wait, Premium line?! Yeah, that's how I feel: pretty stoked.) Also, to my surprise and freaking-out delight, in the Premium line, you keep your shoes on, don't take off your belt, don't empty this or take out that, oh, and don't mind that huge metal detector- you aight. Next thing you know, I have a cheese danish, a train ride, and I'm at my gate. Now where's my poodle and ferarri? Seriously?

On board the plane, the stewardist's [[stewardesses]] look identical, the men look sharp, the overhead bins are huge, I don't have to mention the nice stewardess, forget the personal TV/information/entertainment system, the pillow, blankets, headphones, dinner, drinks and breakfast on this luxurious 14 hour flight to Dubai- nah, you can already imagine how I felt.

I was lead to read Romans 3-4 and Hebrews 12 on the flight. Righteousness is a huge thing; also, faith has been something God has been showing me lately. Righteousness and faith: the two aren't earned, they're gifts freely given, freely received - actually that's wrong -free righteousness/faith have been given at the huge price, and it has been freely received, so indeed we should freely give it away to those who don't have it as well!

Oh! That's what faith with works means. Works come out of faith, because action naturally follows love. Man, I can write about that. We've been given Sooo much grace, justification and freedom and love through the blood of Jesus Christ to be restored to the Father; our lives have been rocked and changed so much by his power and love that overcome the dead, and we've been given an abundance. HOW CAN WE not share this amazingly good new with others?!

(Lord, God, see my heart; keep this spirit of sincerity and love and discipleship, so that you, God, may be glorified and that I may ever be in that feeling/devotion/knowledge of that I'm constantly in a position of discipleship (to be discipled by You, but also to disciple others), to be so in love with You to show your love to others to love You, and to make the most of every opportunity. Give me Your spirit and Your gracious heart, and replace mine with yours. I love you, God. Help me LORD and keep me. I love you, again. Your son.)

Getting off the airplane, I met an airport janitor named Arnold, who is from the Philippines, a father, who works for their living (I think), and who wants to get in the US to work. He asked me so earnestly that I, being an American, would help him. After talking and praying with him for quite some time, he directed me to the food court and I didn't see him after that. I met him as he was cleaning when I was playing my ukulele in the very quiet spot where the airport personelle was watching me while writing Monday's journal entry.

I brought a food voucher from the airlines (found out you could get free food and a free night in a hotel and a free Dubai travelers visa through the airline directly 24 hours prior), got McD's, entertained two toddlers, bought an international power adapter, accidentally used up all my wifi minutes just by walking because the airport is so big. I've actually (probably) walked over 2 (at least 1.5) miles in the Dubai airport. Now, It is 3:33 am, I have my Bible, read Hebrews 13- what a GOOD chapter; have carrot cake and also the idea to try out my new sleeping bag. Peace out!

Benediction = Hebrews 12:20-21 {an arrow points to the new page}

"Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing His will and may He work in us what is pleasing to Him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and every. Amen."
                               - Hebrew 13:20-21

{Signed} Matthew I. Zwicker
August 14th, 2014 3:43 am Thursday (intended for Wednesday)

No comments:

Post a Comment